About Me...

I am a Senior at the University of South Alabama majoring in Secondary Education with a double major in Social Science. I will be graduating in the Spring of 2011. After graduation, my goal is to be a high school history/psychology/sociology teacher locally here in Mobile, Alabama. I would like to come back to South Alabama to attend graduate school and obtain my Master's degree in Education.

Parent-Teacher Connection

As a child, I had some teachers that were very committed to communication with my parents, and then I had some that dreaded the annual PTO meeting. I want to have a continuous streamline of communication with my student's parents. I do not want to wait until the end of the semester, or until a child is in jeopardy of failing. And I certainly do not want to just be a negative voice in the parent's ear. I believe that the teacher should believe in the student, and do everything they can to work with the child and the parent to bring forth success. I think there is a lack of parental involvement in the classrooms today, and that is a bridge I want to build in my classroom.

In doing this, parents could become more involved in helping their children learn rather than just letting someone else do the work!

Newsletters, class blogs, weekly emails, phone calls, and perhaps even Skyping parents from the classroom are all ways of communicating daily with the parent!